Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Doherty Appointed Government Chief Whip

Fine Gael TD for Meath East, Regain Doherty was last week appointed Government Chief Whip, and Minister of State in the Department of An Taoiseach, and is set to take her seat at the Cabinet table for the first time this Wednesday.

Minister Doherty, who is based in Ratoath, today said “I am absolutely delighted with my appointment as Government Chief Whip. The role of the Whip was always crucial to our Parliament, but considering the formation of our new Minority Government, it is one that comes with more responsibility than ever.

“This month (May), it will be exactly ten years since I first presented myself at a Fine Gael Selection Convention, seeking the party’s nomination to run in the General Election. My recent appointment is one which I have been striving towards for a decade now, and I will continue to work towards increasing my influence on building and developing our public policy.

“I am very much looking forward to working together with my colleagues, from all sides of the House, from all parties and none, in what will be one of the most dynamic parliaments we have ever seen in Ireland.

“I envisage that I will be doing much more listening than talking in my role as Chief Whip, as we begin to see radical changes in how we do politics in Leinster House, off the back of the Committee on Dail Reform, which I have been a member of for the last seven weeks.

“One of the outputs of our work on Dail reform will see the establishment of a new business committee, which will arrange the order of proceedings in the Dail, giving greater power to parliamentarians to have their say in the order of business in the house. Order of business previously would have been the sole responsibility of the Government at the helm at the time, and I strongly believe that this will enhance and enrich our legislation from this point forward.”

Concluding, Doherty said, “I am very enthusiastic about the portfolio that I have been given; it is a new challenge that I feel privileged to have, in a parliament that will have more power than ever before.” 

No comments: