Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Doherty confirms €450,000 funding for flood works in Ashbourne

Pictured above with Minister Simon Harris during his visit to Ashbourne last year with Cllr Alan Tobin, Doherty said no family should have to leave their home, and no business should have to close, for any duration of time, as a result of flooding.

Fine Gael TD for Meath East, Regain Doherty, has today confirmed that €450,000 in funding will go towards flood mitigation works in Ashbourne.


The Meath East TD said “this is absolutely fantastic news for Ashbourne. Last year, I invited Minister for Public Works Simon Harris and his Department officials to visit Ashbourne and see first-hand the trail of destruction left on homes and families after flooding during our winter months. These flood prevention works are long overdue and, without flood protection, parts of Ashbourne could be considered a ticking time bomb for more extensive damage in the future.

“The project location for this funding will go to some of the areas which have been worst hit by flooding in recent years, specifically Rathlodge, Racehill Lane, Huntsgrove, Brookville Road, Hunters Lane, Cedar Road and Milltown Road.”

Doherty continued “This funding of €450,000 is in addition to the previously allocated €58,000 which had also been approved for Meath County Council, and comes under the OPW’s Minor Flood Mitigation Works and Coastal Protection Scheme. The initial round of funding was used to appoint consultants to investigate the causes of flooding in the Ashbourne area and come up with solutions.

“It is great to see that this project has now come to its fruition and also to see that Ashbourne has remained a top priority for the Minister and his Department. We all remember the heavy rain that swept across the country in November 2014 that saw Ashbourne hit particularly hard.

Continuing, Doherty said “we are not yet out of the woods. There are a number of other sites that have been badly damaged by flood waters that are not included in this funding.”

Ashbourne's Fine Gael Councillor, Alan Tobin, said “while I welcome the OPW funding, there are areas of concern which I will be highlighting in my submission to Meath County Council, so it is of utmost importance that each and every person living in the areas effected have their say. The planning application can be seen in the Municipal Building in Ashbourne until the end of the month. The flooding problem has been constant worry for those living along what we now know as channel C1/7. It concerns those affected every time we have heavy or persistent rain. This has had a profound effect on people's lives with some suffering from sleepless nights, anxiety and mental health issues. It is imperative that this is fixed now and that we never have to revisit the devastation of Nov 13th 2014.”

Concluding, Doherty said “No family should have to leave their home, and no business should have to close, for any duration of time, as a result of flooding. Continued investment in flood mitigation measures will ensure that Ashbourne will not have to revisit the ordeal of November 2014 again.” 

No comments: