Friday, November 06, 2015

Doherty welcomes new Special Criminal Court

Fine Gael TD for Meath East, Regina Doherty, has welcomed the Government’s appointment of seven serving judges to what will be the second Special Criminal Court.

The Ratoath based TD has said “just this last week a number of residents contacted me with regard to two men who were spotted checking cars in Ratoath in the early hours of the morning. We also had an armed robbery in a house in Stamullen; it is now a daily occurrence that burglaries take place or are attempted right across the county. We have a serious problem with crime on our hands in Meath and we need to tackle it head on. I am thrilled with this week’s announcement which sees the establishment of a new Special Criminal Court, the second of its kind.

“The appointment of seven sitting judges (3 High Court, 2 Circuit Court and 2 District Court judges) to the new Special Criminal Court will see the serious backlog of cases in the Special Criminal Court processed sooner rather than later. There is currently a backlog of up to two years in cases coming to trial and criminals involved in house and car robberies will continue to offend unless we address this backlog.”

The Meath East TD continued “the next available hearing before the existing Special Criminal Court is June 2017; we have a responsibility to protect the security of our communities, businesses and families and this task becomes problematic, to say the least, with a back log of 20 months for criminal cases to be heard.

Concluding, Doherty said “The establishment of a second Special Criminal Court demonstrates this Government’s commitment to see justice brought to those who commit crime in our towns and villages. I will shortly be launching a Text Alert system in the south of the county in a bid to tackle local crime; we must all pull together to ensure the safety and security of our homes and businesses.”

No comments: