Thursday, October 15, 2015

Doherty launches Irish Rural Links for Meals on Wheels

Fine Gael TD for Meath East, Regina Doherty, has said that the recent launch of Irish Rural Links Meals on Wheels Network brings signifies a bright future for our Meals on Wheels organisations here in County Meath.
"Regina Doherty TD, pictured above at the launch of Irish Rural Links, has said that Meals on Wheels is about much more than a hot dinner."


The Ratoath based TD said “I am delighted to have launched the Irish Rural Links Meals on Wheels Network recently. Over seven years ago I established Meals on Wheels in my own village of Ratoath and I know that last week’s launch was a proud and exciting moment for all of the volunteers and organisers for Meals on Wheels, not only in Meath, but right across the country.  

“This campaign promotes and endorses the true meaning behind our Meals on Wheels voluntary organisations, that it is not just about food, but rather it is also about delivering companionship and friendship to our towns and villages.

“I always knew that loneliness was a real problem for many of our older generation, particularly those living alone. It was not until I set up our local Meals on Wheels in Ratoath that I realised that a hot dinner is just a side serving to a main course of chat and a little bit of company for so many clients.

“Sometimes, a Meals on Wheels volunteer could be the only person that a client could meet in any given day; the launch of Irish Rural Links will strengthen and reinforce this much needed and valuable resource in our communities.

“On a personal level, and as a regular volunteer myself, I can say with confidence that we take much more from volunteering with Meals on Wheels than we put in to it.  

“In Ratoath we deliver hot meals 3 times a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. If you would like to get involved, or if you or a family member would like to receive Meals on Wheels, please do give me a call on 01 825 7204.”



Concluding, the Meath East TD said “I am so grateful for our volunteers over the last 7 years and I share their pride in how far we have come as a voluntary organisation. 
Loneliness is a big problem when we get older so it is vital that we look out for each other.”

No comments: