Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Doherty listens to concerns of older people at Age Action conference


Fine Gael Meath East TD, Regina Doherty, today (Monday) listened to the concerns of older people at the Age Action conference in Croke Park in Dublin, which she described as a lively and impassioned event.  
“We have made enormous strides as a society to reduce poverty amongst older people and I believe we need to be ambitious with our positive ageing strategy, despite our economic challenges.
“I was delighted to take part in this morning’s conference, which was a lively and impassioned event. I listened to views expressed on a number of issues of concern, including free travel, fuel costs and home care packages.
“I fully understand these concerns, and I believe as a Government we need to take decisions that are fair by ensuring those who can shoulder the most, pay the most.
“The need for the regulation of home care services was underlined at today’s conference; a number of elderly people spoke to me about the problems they face personally. The Government is acutely aware of the need to regulate this area, and I intend to bring their representations to the Minister for Health.
“I believe engaging with older people and all of those who are affected by our choices is a vital part of our role as legislators; I will be bringing all of the concerns expressed to me today to my Government colleagues.”

No comments: